Demon of Dispersion, Ego Destroyer, Dweller in the Abyss
Enochian / Thelemic
Choronzon only takes form when evoked. During evocation, the demon is most likely to invoke itself into an artifact, such as a living vessel or an inanimate object. Choronzon is described as a discarnate, swirling aggregation of all possible forms—as non-individual.
- Most commonly known for its role in the mystical system of Thelema developed by Aleister Crowley during the 1900s
- Choronzon is said to represent the final obstacle to enlightenment for thelemic adepts
- One who is sufficiently prepared will meet Choronzon to have his or her ego ultimately destroyed, moving the adept beyond the occult cosmological abyss
- Some uphold this demon as a positive liberating force akin to Satan
- As the adversary to restrictive dogma, Choronzon's purpose is to facilitate the sloughing off of one's ego, allowing it to be cast into the universe as a player in the cosmic unknown